Tuesday, October 5, 2010

revelation

I started a Beth Moore study on the book of Revelation a few weeks ago. I have read through this book in my bible numerous times, but never have I had it explained to me like she is. It is making me stay up and think at night. It is challenging my core. It is giving me a whole new picture of who God is. Each week as we are going through the questions and scriptures, there is a time to reflect on any revelations God throws at you. This is week 4 and I'm just now havin one, but it was a good one.

I wouldn't call myself a diet coke "addict" but I was drinking more than one should. I was drinking coffee in the morning too. I craved diet coke. I loved the way it tasted. I felt almost releived when I got that first sip, especially out of a cold, cold can. BUT, I gave it all up in June. I started drinking Spark, and energy and mental focus drink, and quickly replaced my diet coke and coffee habit. It also helped me to crave and drink more water. Water is the best thing in the world to drink. Since June I have maybe had a total of 2 cups of coffee and 3 diet cokes, if that. Even when I do splurge and have one, I can hardly finish it. It doesn't even taste that good to me anymore. I can feel my body longing for the cleanliness and purity of water instead.

This morning I had this weird craving for a diet coke. I rarely even think about having one, but for some reason I could almost taste it. What I gave up a few months ago, I have learned how to live without. The more I am away from what was unhealthy for me, the less I craved it, but there are still times when I do have a desire for it.

Yet, the more I had the good stuff, the more of that I wanted. God knocked the breath out of me with this. "See, Jamie, I am the good. I am the purtiy for you. I am the clean and living water for you. I take those cravings for unhealthy things and replace them with the sweetness of my life in you. You don't need that stuff anymore. You have all you need in me."

and that my friends, is a revelation.

2 comments: