Wednesday, June 3, 2015

gideon and his goat

Judges 6:17-24

"Gideon said, “If you’re serious about this, do me a favor: Give me a sign to back up what you’re telling me. Don’t leave until I come back and bring you my gift.” The Lord said, “I’ll wait till you get back.” Gideon went and prepared a young goat and a huge amount of unraised bread (he used over half a bushel of flour!). He put the meat in a basket and the broth in a pot and took them back under the shade of the oak tree for a sacred meal." 6:17-19

IF. That is what Gideon said to the Lord, after seeing him face to face and hearing his majestic voice speak to him. IF.

Why do we do this? Why do we see the Lord work, move, and appear - hear him speak so loud and clear - then continue to doubt? Gideon was still making excuses and only seeing the limitations and weaknesses within himself, not trusting that the Lord would do the work through him. All he had to do was say "yes."

This is me, so many times.

And then he tells the Lord to WAIT! This is really quite a funny story if you think about it. Gideon is telling the God of the universe to wait on him to go cook a goat. Seriously?

But the Lord does wait. Wow. How gracious and patient sweet Jesus is with us. Most of the time it is us that wait on the Lord, but the Lord is ALWAYS waiting on us too.

"But God’s not finished. He’s waiting around to be gracious to you.
He’s gathering strength to show mercy to you.
God takes the time to do everything right—everything.
Those who wait around for him are the lucky ones."
Isaiah 30:18


I have never roasted a goat before, but I did figure out that it took a minute (that in the hood can translate to "a long time") to do. It wasn't like he could hop in his car and run to Whole Foods, pick up some fresh cooked goat and bread, then speed back to the Lord and and give it to him.

This is what I figure.

Not sure how far away from his farm he was, but since he was walking, there was the time it took for him to get back there from the spot he was in the winepress. He had to pick out a goat, slaughter it, skin it, prepare it, and roast it. I did a little research and that could have taken about 2 days. He had to cook the bread - a whole lot of bread. Then he had to walk back to the place where the Lord was.....yep, still waiting on him (under that tree at Ophrah).

"The angel of God said to him, “Take the meat and unraised bread, place them on that rock, and pour the broth on them.” Gideon did it. The angel of God stretched out the tip of the stick he was holding and touched the meat and the bread. Fire broke out of the rock and burned up the meat and bread while the angel of God slipped away out of sight. And Gideon knew it was the angel of God!" Gideon said, “Oh no! Master, God! I have seen the angel of God face-to-face!” But God reassured him, “Easy now. Don’t panic. You won’t die.” Then Gideon built an altar there to God and named it “God’s Peace.” 6:21-24

After all that effort Gideon went through with the goat, the bread, the traveling back and forth.....the Lord just burned it right up. God didn't want his sacrifice, He wanted his YES. That was it.

What are you trying to sacrifice, that you don't have to? Just say yes. That is what pleases the Lord more.

King David got it. And eventually Gideon did. I am working on it too.

I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
and put their trust in him.
Blessed is the one
who trusts in the Lord,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.
Many, Lord my God,
are the wonders you have done,
the things you planned for us.
None can compare with you;
were I to speak and tell of your deeds,
they would be too many to declare.

Sacrifice and offering you did not desire
but my ears you have opened
burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.


Then I said, “Here I am, I have come—
it is written about me in the scroll.
I desire to do your will, my God;
your law is within my heart.”
I proclaim your saving acts in the great assembly;
I do not seal my lips, Lord,
as you know.
I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
I speak of your faithfulness and your saving help.
I do not conceal your love and your faithfulness
from the great assembly.
Do not withhold your mercy from me, Lord;
may your love and faithfulness always protect me.
For troubles without number surround me;
my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see.
They are more than the hairs of my head,
and my heart fails within me.
Be pleased to save me, Lord;
come quickly, Lord, to help me.
May all who want to take my life
be put to shame and confusion;
may all who desire my ruin
be turned back in disgrace.
May those who say to me, “Aha! Aha!”
be appalled at their own shame.
But may all who seek you
rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who long for your saving help always say,
“The Lord is great!”
But as for me, I am poor and needy;
may the Lord think of me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
you are my God, do not delay.

Psalm 40

No comments:

Post a Comment