Sunday, March 1, 2015

tearing down walls

Joshua 23

"God has driven out superpower nations before you. And up to now, no one has been able to stand up to you. Think of it - one of you, single-handedly, putting a thousand on the run! Because God is a God, your God, that fights for you, just as he promised." 23:9 - 10

It has been a long journey, years have passed, and Joshua is making is very last speech to the Israelites. He is reminding them of all that the Lord has done through this time - how God fought for them in every battle they entered; how God gave them the land they inherited; how God defeated their enemies; and how God was faithful to everything he promised along the way.

This is the last time Joshua gets to tell them "hold on as tight as you can to the Lord in everything you do." He says, "As you can see, I am about to go the way we all end up going. Know this with all your heart, with everything in you, that not one detail has failed of all the good things God promised you. It has all happened. Nothing is left undone - not even one single word." 23:14

The flip side of this sweet reminder of the riches of his glory, is the ultimate consequences of disobedience.

"But just as sure as everything good that God has promised has come true, so also God will bring to pass every bad thing until there is nothing left of you in this good land that God has given you. If you leave the path of the Covenant of God, that he commanded you, go off and serve and worship other gods, God's anger will blaze out against you. In no time at all there will be nothing left of you, no sign that you have ever been in this good land he gave you." 23:15 - 16

If only I could have been standing there in the front row when Joshua was speaking.

Yesterday I had some of my boys helping me with the house, along with about 70 college students that filtered through. I was trying my best to salvage the plaster that was on the walls of the front two rooms. The front room had some damaged and rotten places that I knew would have to be replaced, so we were going to go ahead and take all of that down. As we got to the next room, I realized that it was in just as bad of shape. So, what started out as a 1 room demo, quickly became a 2 room demo.

As I was down on the floor taking nails out of the rotten wood, the Lord sat down right next to me, just as if he had a hammer in his hands and was taking nails out too - right in the middle of so many people being in the house with me. Like Joshua reminded the Israelites of all that the Lord had done for them, of all they had to go through to get to their promise, the Lord used those rotten walls and wood to remind me of the very same. If I didn't let him tear down the walls that were of no good, the hope of staying in his land of promise - gone.

I thought the walls could be salvaged, but what was hidden underneath was so much rot and damage, and if they weren't torn out and redone, my walls would continue to rot and eventually collapse. Wow - Jesus. When it may appear as if things are "ok" on the outside, gosh, there is so much that Jesus wants to tear out from within us and make new.

Now that I have a whole side of the house down to the frame, that means there is more work to get it fixed, and that means it will cost more to complete. BUT, for me to sit on that floor with Jesus and for him to tear down rotten and damaged things inside of me in the midst of that, I will gladly count that cost as worth it. He is constantly healing me and taking over new territory within me. Just look at all the junk that came down with those walls....

And my boys. They worked so hard. They made me so proud!

We ended the night with some skating, and waffle house. The best thing said to me all day was from Tez...."ms jamie, when I have kids, i want you to be they God mama." Well, of course I will.











No comments:

Post a Comment