Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Light House

lighthouse: a structure (as a tower) with a powerful light that gives a continuous or intermittent signal to navigators.

and

A lighthouse is a shore-based structure designed to assist sailors with navigation. The classic form is a tall tower with a lamp assembly at the very top. The lamp creates a focused beam of light, which is rotated across the water in a unique pattern. Navigational charts include a list of these patterns, allowing mariners to use lighthouses to orient themselves. In addition to serving as a navigational marker, it also warns of hazards or it may point the way to the harbor mouth.

Each house at We Will Go has a name. The name represents what God calls that house to be, a reflection of who He is. Here are the names of His houses there: Love House, Faith House, Peace House, Hope House, Restoration House, Power House, Fire House, Truth House, Life House, Promise House, Victory House, Freedom House, Glory House, Joy House, Redemption House.

I had the privilege to live in 4 of these houses - Peace, Faith, Fire and Life - so when the Lord directed me to McTyere Street, I began praying for the name He had for this house. Since the beginning, all I have heard Him say was "a safe place, a place of refuge", but I didn't ever feel like that was the name He had in his heart. I Googled a hundred times different names in Greek, Hebrew, even Spanish (seriously) that meant "refuge" but nothing ever clicked.

I went to a Christmas program in December and the opening song has been stuck in my head since then. It starts out with these simple words - "There is a light, that shines in the darkness." I could never remember any of the other words, just those. Here is a beautiful representation of this song.



On a day of demo in the house, I took a picture of the back room, but when I looked at it, it depicted the light breaking through so much destruction.


There is a group from a local church that prayer walks in Midtown every month. I missed them on their last walk and my friend that goes sent me this message - "Thanks so much for letting us be a part of praying on McTyere Street. It's like that spot has become a starting place for us, like a little lighthouse."

I could not sleep the other night. I was wide awake at 3:30 am, and had to be up at 4:45 to teach a class at the gym. I prayed, I read, I made up songs in my head. Then in an instant, the Lord spoke to me so quickly and said, "When you sleep, I don't. I never slumber. I am always working. I am the light in the darkness."

And just like that, He gave me the name for His house on McTyere Street.

When ships are in distress, can't find their way to the shore in the midst of a storm, and have lost their direction - the light that illuminates from above, guides them to safety - to refuge from the raging sea.

This house is a place of safety and refuge, just like He told me. But it is the light that shines in the darkness, that draws the the lost to it. The light of Jesus.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."
John 1:1-5

1 comment: