Monday, January 26, 2015

sweet community

Joshua 19

A recurring phrase through this chapter, "...included these towns and their surrounding villages."

Six clans walking into the land given to them. When each clan was given their territory, they were also given surrounding communities to encourage and share with. This didn't just fulfill the promise of inheritance, but it also opened opportunity for everyone to live in community, and unity.

Living in community can be hard. Really good, but really hard. You have to learn how to share, how to be patient, how to be selfless, how to be compassionate, how to be a better giver, and how to serve others with no expectations in return.

The early church worshiped together and lived in community together. A good snapshot of what that looked like is found in Acts 2:42-47. “They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."

Community starts in your own home. I have learned that, living with others over the last few years. Through this, the Lord showed me just how selfish I can be. But in return, he also showed me how beautiful this can be. There is so much joy when a house is full of laughter and peace and love, and unity. And sometimes you just have to be the one to take the trash out.

Community flows out to those around you. Living in the restored shotgun, former crack houses, on Cohea Street was quite the adventure. I was so close to my neighbors, I could hear them walking from one end to the other. One of my favorite things was the nightly shout out I got from Dwight. He walked by my house every night and would yell out, "Nite Nite Jamie, don't let the bud begs bite" - yes, that is what he said. And the many honks from Terrell as he rode by.

But it didn't stop there. My neighbors on every street around me were included in my community that reached beyond the walls of the house I was in. I've shared meals with people, toilet paper, clothes, and the occasional nap for when they were weary. Kids have taken over every inch of the 900 square feet I had. In that place, on that street, I slept so good every night, knowing Jesus had me in the exact community He wanted me in.

These clans got it. They lived where they received their inheritance, but they also lived in unity with the other clans around them. What a great example we have today, from so long ago.

And then this.

"After all the land was divided among the tribes, the Israelites gave a piece of land to Joshua as his allocation. For the Lord had said he could have any town he wanted. He chose Timnath-serah in the hill country of Ephraim. He rebuilt the town and lived there." 19:49-50

Joshua was the very last to receive his land. He faithfully obeyed God all through this journey, seeing everyone receive their inheritance, until the very end when he was given his. His sense of community expanded beyond the walls of his tent, to the heart of every man, woman, child, clan. The only thing going through my mind as I read this, is this:

"Jesus replied, “Yes, you have followed me. In the re-creation of the world, when the Son of Man will rule gloriously, you who have followed me will also rule, starting with the twelve tribes of Israel. And not only you, but anyone who sacrifices home, family, fields—whatever—because of me will get it all back a hundred times over, not to mention the considerable bonus of eternal life. This is the Great Reversal: many of the first ending up last, and the last first.” Matthew 19:28-30

What does your community look like?

Here is a glimpse of mine. This is part of the Magee clan. They are some of my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment