Tuesday, January 20, 2015

proscrastinating through the process.....not good

Joshua 18

"Then Joshua asked them, 'How long are you going to wait before taking possession of the remaining land the Lord has given you?'" 18:3

There were 7 tribes remaining that received their inheritance, but had not actually moved forward to TAKE it. They were so close to it, but didn't reach out and grab it!

It is a little like someone saying - "Hey, I have a big jar of skittles for you." then you say "Great!" but never get it. That's just dumb.

I am known to procrastinate. When I was finishing up my Masters degree I would wait until I was almost out of time, to work on a project. Then I would get super stressed out, frustrated, and fumble my way through, just to turn it in on time. There were many Sunday nights I was up until that very last minute to get it submitted. If I had worked on it ahead of time and not waiting until the last second, I might have ended up with all A's. Maybe.

How often do we delay in doing things that seem way to big for us, far to complicated, extremely difficult, and maybe even boring? When we know there are things to do, that maybe we don't want to do, and don't look very thrilling, we are just prolonging what we know we HAVE to do. Like writing a 10 page paper, or saying YES to what the Lord asks you to do. When we continue to put these things off, it shows just how selfish we are, how much we lack discipline, our poor stewardship, and the worst of all - our disobedience to the Lord.

Through the last few months, the Lord has had to continue ushering me along in this journey. There have been a few things I knew I needed to do, that I would keep putting off. Part of it was due to not having money for them, not having time to do it, and mainly because my faith to move ahead was lacking. Each time I did move forward with something, the Lord above and beyond blessed me. How silly I can be sometimes.

Procrastinating and waiting - two different things. The 7 tribes weren't waiting on the Lord to give them the land, it had already been given to them. They were just prolonging the action to move forward and take residence in it!

One of my favorite pieces of art made by one of the kids. So true. It challenges me to think through other things I am not doing, that I know I should. When we procrastinate and don't receive our blessing, it is because "God did't tap out" - we did.


No comments:

Post a Comment