Tuesday, May 5, 2015

what are you singing?

When my kids get in my car, their little hands automatically turn the radio to 99 jams. I admit, the beat of the music sounds good, but the words of the songs are full of so much evil and destruction. I can find myself dancing with them and singing along before I realize what the words are.

When my nephew gets in my car, his hands automatically turn the radio to 96.3. The beat of the music sounds different, but the words in the songs are about the same.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. What are we listening to, when we don't think it is "bad?" Do we even realize what we are singing along to? We can start singing a song without even thinking about it because the words can get lodged within our heart and just naturally flow out.

David said,
"May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing to you,
O Lord, my rock and my redeemer."


When you start singing along, stop and think.....are these words pleasing to the Lord? I have just turned the radio off in my car. I find the quietness is much better than the temptation to sing along with something that is not holy.

There are two songs on the radio. a rap version. a country version. They both pretty much are saying the same things. Which one is worse? These are explicit lyrics, so caution yourself as you read through both of them.

rap version:
Aye get turnt up
Drink a lil bit
Smoke a lil bit
Pop a lil bit
We ain't doing much
Tryna have a good time
Got 4 bad bitches
Man the pleasures all mine
Girls kissin' girls
Best believe they all fine
Tryin' to have a good time
roll around the city, porsche seats on recline
Bitch named keisha, got an ass like a bubble
Feed her M&M's watch it turn to some trouble
Two hands on the ball, shorty just double
Once I get mine
I ain't trying to cuddle
All in the party,
Hippy trippy on the henny
Jar full of weed,
Baby girl I got plenty
Break fast for the chick
Like I work at Denny's
Shawty where the shots
I need many, many, many, many
Molly in the system
Drinkin' out the bottle
Shorty goin' in
Going hard full throttle
Instagram likes got her feeling like a model
If you looking' for the drugs, don't worry I got em

country version:
Turn the quiet up, turn the noise down
Let this ol' world just spin around
I wanna feel it swing, wanna feel it sway
And put some feel good in my soul
Drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke

Wanna little more right and a little less left
Little more right now, a little less what's next
Act like tomorrow's ten years away
And just kick back and let the feelin' flow
Drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke, yeah

I set my sails for a new direction
But the wind got in my way
I changed my course but my definition of change
Just ain't the same

I'm gonna sit right here, stay away from there
I'm gon' make pretend I just don't care
I could get up, go get her back
Or maybe I'll just let her go
Drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke, yeah

I kick back, give the blues spin
Break out the wine, forget again
Dig down deep, find my stash
Light it up, memory crash

Oh no, I don't know, baby my take on life
Maybe break out that old rock and roll
Drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke
Gon' drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke yea



No comments:

Post a Comment