Monday, May 11, 2015

deborah, daring me to be better

Judges 4

"Deborah was a prophet, the wife of Lappidoth. She was judge over Israel at that time. She held court under Deborah’s Palm between Ramah and Bethel in the hills of Ephraim. The People of Israel went to her in matters of justice. She sent for Barak son of Abinoam from Kedesh in Naphtali and said to him, “It has become clear that God, the God of Israel, commands you: Go to Mount Tabor and prepare for battle. Take ten companies of soldiers from Naphtali and Zebulun. I’ll take care of getting Sisera, the leader of Jabin’s army, to the Kishon River with all his chariots and troops. And I’ll make sure you win the battle.” Barak said, “If you go with me, I’ll go. But if you don’t go with me, I won’t go.” She said, “Of course I’ll go with you. But understand that with an attitude like that, there’ll be no glory in it for you. God will use a woman’s hand to take care of Sisera.” Deborah got ready and went with Barak to Kedesh. Barak called Zebulun and Naphtali together at Kedesh. Ten companies of men followed him. And Deborah was with him." 4:4-10

A little bit about Deborah:

She was the only female judge of Israel.
She was gifted to mediate, advise, and counsel.
She walked in the prophetic.
She was bold, brave, unassuming, and confident.

Wise leaders are rare. They accomplish great amounts of work without direct involvement because they know how to work through other people. They are able to see the big picture that often escapes those directly involved.

Deborah had the qualities of a wise leader, that lined up with her relationship with God. The Lord gave her insight, confidence, boldness, and authority. Even having these qualities, she was not after power. She only wanted to serve God, and all the glory was given to Him for all she was able to do. She didn't deny or resist her position, even though it was in a culture where women were not given places of leadership. She didn't let the culture dictate her obedience to the Lord.

Her life challenges me in many ways.

I must be available to the Lord, and to other people, even when I don't feel like it.
I need to spend my efforts on what I can do, instead of worrying about what I can't.
I have been given authority and wisdom from God, that must only be used to bring honor to Him.
With God in control, I can accomplish anything He sets before me.

How did she gain so much respect? She was responsible for leading an army into battle, but she also had to lead them into a life serving the Lord after the battle was over. Her personality and character had a way of drawing people to her leadership. She used the prophetic gift the Lord gave her to encourage people to obey God. She walked boldly in all that was before her. She wasn't afraid to go into places that others were scared of. Her life was a true reflection of what she believed.

I want to be so much like her. I am learning from her how to walk in all the Lord gave me, to be bold to go in the places that others wouldn't dare venture in, to give all credit for each victory I get to walk in, to the Lord, and the hardest for me...to continue going forward, even if I am going alone.

This is the song I think Deborah would sing. She was a rock star.



1 comment:

  1. A year and a half ago, a group of people prayed over me this character from the Word, claiming that the Lord would use her story in my life. Thank you for this sweet and powerful reminder of who she was in the Lord and who, we too, are called to imitate!

    ReplyDelete