Monday, February 2, 2015

a place of refuge

Joshua 20

"The Lord said to Joshua, “Now tell the Israelites to designate the cities of refuge, as I instructed Moses. Anyone who kills another person accidentally and unintentionally can run to one of these cities; they will be places of refuge from relatives seeking revenge for the person who was killed." 20:1-3

This fulfilled what the Lord told Moses to do way before the Israelites were actually settled in their promised inheritance. (Numbers 35). These cities were designed as a place of safety and refuge for someone that had committed an unintentional murder, that would evoke retaliation from the victim's family. There were 6 cities that were set up throughout the land so that no one was ever far from refuge.

This confirms what the Lord told me months ago when I walked to the back of my house for the first time.

Look at this picture. What do you see? Really - look at it through the eyes of Jesus.


When I turned the corner of the driveway and saw this backyard, and the space on the back of the house, the Lord instantly spoke to me and said "this is to be used for a place of refuge, a safe place for the kids to find rest." I don't anticipate that any of my kids will seek refuge after committing murder, or something of that nature; however, given the reality and generational cycle of survival in which they live, it is likely.

This is what I see when I look at this.

A big screened in porch all the way across the back. Space that will be used for all my kids - to share the gospel with them, see many miracles of salvation within them, disciple their young hearts through what is means to truly walk with the Lord, and a place of refuge to escape the chaos and darkness that chases them. Lots of laughter, hugs, tears, joy, peace, love. Jesus.

In the thoughts that are wrapped in worry of - how am I going to do this??? - over the weekend I had someone call and ask me if I needed a refrigerator. Earlier this week I was praying for one. Seriously. Knowing that this space will also feed lots of bellies, I asked the Lord to provide one that I could keep out there, full of food and drinks. And He provided one!

The Lord has also provided me with some furniture, a tv and a wii (we got to have some fun too!), and a stash of other things that will be helpful with a porch full of kids. So now I wait on Him to provide the materials, help, and resources to see it come to life.

I had a car full of boys Saturday evening, which is not unusual. As I was taking them all home, one of the boys who is 14 wanted to ride with me. He was the last one I dropped off. He just wanted to ride. He didn't ask for anything, and he didn't say much, but he knew that in those 15 - 20 minutes of just riding in the car with me, it was safe and peaceful. What a beautiful reminder to me that when we find our place of refuge in the arms of Jesus, everything else fades away.

You who sit down in the High God’s presence,
spend the night in Shaddai’s shadow,
Say this: “God, you’re my refuge.
I trust in you and I’m safe!”
That’s right—he rescues you from hidden traps,
shields you from deadly hazards.
His huge outstretched arms protect you—
under them you’re perfectly safe;
his arms fend off all harm.
Fear nothing—not wild wolves in the night,
not flying arrows in the day,
Not disease that prowls through the darkness,
not disaster that erupts at high noon.
Even though others succumb all around,
drop like flies right and left,
no harm will even graze you.
You’ll stand untouched, watch it all from a distance,
watch the wicked turn into corpses.
Yes, because God’s your refuge,
the High God your very own home,
Evil can’t get close to you,
harm can’t get through the door.
He ordered his angels
to guard you wherever you go.
If you stumble, they’ll catch you;
their job is to keep you from falling.
You’ll walk unharmed among lions and snakes,
and kick young lions and serpents from the path.
If you’ll hold on to me for dear life,” says God,
“I’ll get you out of any trouble.
I’ll give you the best of care
if you’ll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I’ll answer, be at your side in bad times;
I’ll rescue you, then throw you a party.
I’ll give you a long life,
give you a long drink of salvation!”
Psalm 91

No comments:

Post a Comment