Wednesday, August 3, 2011

never beyond his reach

it is impossible for us to get beyond God's loving reach. he has engraved us in the palms of his hands. literally. our name is on the scars from the nails that put him on that tree. living he loved me. dying he saved me. not only me.

this morning when i pulled up to peace house from the gym, there was somebody on the porch. this is not a rare thing here. it could easily frustrate me. i mean, i just got done teaching a spin class, i have to get dressed for a busy day, i am hungry, why are they here. yeah, it could get on my nerves. but i have to choose daily to die to self and remember why i am here. why jesus sent me here. jerome. i met him a few months ago when he appeared on peace house porch. he had just gotten to jackson via a mental treatment facility in north mississippi via out of jail. we had several good talks about his past, his family and most importantly, his future. just as quickly as he showed up here, he was gone. i have not seen him in probably 3 months. i was very glad to see him last week when he showed up on the porch again. he had been in alabama where some of his family lives. he lived through the tornado, acutally lost some family and friends in it. he was back in jackson trying to get to belzoni where one of his sons lives. i found out today he has three other sons. he was here sunday where me and joseph shared a good conversation with him. he actually asked "how do you really know if you know jesus?" as we were right in the nitty gritty of talking him through that, he looks at me, as if he is about to say "I am READY!" but instead he says "can you take me to the hosptial?" sometimes around here you just have to roll with the punches. but today, he was able to get a bus ticket to belzoni. i got him some clean clothes, a bag of food for the ride and a good prayer - just about the time my dear friend Anita Trigg pulled up to peace house. that was lovely. so, pray for my brother jerome. i have a feeling i will pull back up to peace house one day and find him sittin on the porch. and if i do, i'll love him then just as much as i do today.

No comments:

Post a Comment