Friday, July 24, 2009

Suffering for Doing Good

"But even if you should suffer from doing good, you are blessed." 1 Peter 3:14

Message: "If with heart and soul you are doing good, do you think you can be stopped? Even if you suffer for it, you are still better off."

I think I am a good person. I think I do good things for others. I also know that I suffer, either emotionally, relationally, physcially or mentally. Regardless, I am humbled to know that in my suffering God still is going to bless me. It almost doesn't make sense to me.

When I stop and imagine what it is like to suffer the first thing that comes to my mind is physical pain. Burns to your body, being in a car accident, falling and breaking every bone in your body, some type of torture. Then it hits me....all of these are sufferings to the outside of your body. Peter also says "What matters is not your outer appearance - the styling of your hair, the jewelry you wear, the cut of your clothes - but your inner disposition." Regardless of the suffering and harm that is done to your outer body, God is always at work on your inner body. Removing the pain and suffering from within. Penetrating into your soul to replenish those moments of suffering and using them as blessings from Him. Our strenth is His joy.

Sometimes I can not wrap my mind around that old saying "why do bad things happen to good people?" But to those good people that bad things may happen to, the truth of God's word clearly says it here...."you ARE blessed"

No comments:

Post a Comment